Date Published 23 August 2013
A letting agent has been hit with a £50,000 bill after being prosecuted over failure to get licences for Houses in Multiple Occupation.
Ashdale Services, also known as Sylvan Estates, in north London, was taken to Tottenham Magistrates Court by Haringey Borough Council.
The company was fined for failing to get HMO licences for properties and for failing to maintain one of its properties.
Agency owner George Georgious admitted failing to provide functional smoke alarms, allowing bedrooms to become mouldy due to broken window sash cords and failing to fit stair hand rails.
Another landlord, Blue Ribbon Properties, also described as an agent, was also prosecuted by the council for its failure to replace faulty windows over the course of a year, despite repeated requests and court action from the council.
It pleaded not guilty to failing to maintain a flat in Handsworth Road in Tottenham, but lost its case at the magistrates’ court.
The company was given a £1,500 fine and was ordered to pay the council £1,250 in court costs.
Councillor John Bevan, cabinet member for the environment, said: "It is simply not good enough that big landlords, who should know better, fail to properly license and maintain their properties.
"The council will be putting increased resources into enforcing the HMO licence and other legislation.
"Both these cases reinforce our message to landlords that if they don`t get the required licences and don`t properly maintain their properties for tenants, they will be taken to task."